Thursday, April 2, 2015

Introduction to Zbrush


Starting this week, I'll be studying the Zbrush course!

This is my second attempt at modeling a mouth, and this time I'm more prepared since I've watched
through the majority of the videos posted on the school forums.

Instead of working directly on an unprepared box primitive, I followed our teachers video instructions
and began with the Cube3d tool.
Starting off, I focused on really nailing the creasing of the two lips by having a proper depth to it.

Working on a low res primitive for the base structure, helped define the 
main landmarks of the mouth
much faster.

I had problems moving the vertices during the early stages because my brush size was too big. The
solution was to resized the move brush to a smaller size for more accurate sculpting.

(SubDiv Lvl 1) 
When I felt satisfied with the shape of the base mesh, I moved on to add more subdivision in order to add more details.
(SubDiv Lvl 3)
Looking at the mesh with PolyFrame turned on, was when I noticed how much I had stretched the outer faces.
I'm not sure how to fix this issue besides dragging the edge vertices closer to the mouth, but that would "damage" the square shape.
(SubDiv Lvl 6)
I went up to 6 division levels, just for some experimentation with the TrimDynamic brush in order to define the edge
of the lips a bit better.
I used the anatomy references handed out during the first class, as well as my own face using the laptop web camera.

Some problems I had was how many sculpting artifacts were left around the mouth, and I should probably do a second
pass of smoothing to relax the vertices.

I was also suprised when the tutorial video said to use the box primitive that had a center vertice. But it turned out
to be very helpful since it had circular edge flow, following the main muscles of the mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment